Thunderbird for Windows is one of the better ways to organize email on the web. However, there is one function it lacks: importing MBOX. You can use Thunderbird’s IMAP method to import MBOX, which is a pain. But if you follow these steps, it will be much easier.
Thunderbird is an email client that’s based on the Mozilla Mail system. It has a lot of features that are not available in the built-in mail client of Windows. Here we have a detailed tutorial on how to import MBOX to Thunderbird.
Thunderbird’s built in mail client is pretty reliable, but sometimes you want to import your email from other mail programs, and this is a good way to do this. However, there’s a problem, it only works on Windows. I have a Mac, so I can’t use this.
Would you want to learn how to import MBOX files into Thunderbird? If not, you’ve come to the correct place. This technical blog will walk you through the process of exporting MBOX to Thunderbird.
First and foremost, tell us what makes Mozilla Thunderbird unique.
The Mozilla Foundation created Mozilla Thunderbird, a top-rated free email service provider that is cross-platform. It has a lot of useful functions, such as email management, news reader, RSS reader, chat client, and so on. It is a simple and easy-to-use local email program rather than a browser or web-based email client. If you use Thunderbird, you may wish to import your MBOX files into the Thunderbird email client, which, as we all know, stores email data in the MBOX file format.
Email Storing applications such as Mozilla Thunderbird, Entourage, Apple Mail & Qualcomm Eudora use MBOX files. It is a generic term for a family related to file formats and used to hold collections of email messages. The default location of the MBOX file in your Windows os is C:Users\AppDataRoamingThunderbirdProfiles\
MBOX files must be exported to Thunderbird.
I’ll go through some typical scenarios where you may need to import MBOX files into Thunderbird.
- Thunderbird is a free email program that works on both Windows and Mac and is often used to read MBOX files.
- Users choose Thunderbird to access and retain their data rather than transferring MBOX files to other email applications.
- Without its own email client, many use Thunderbird to access MBOX files.
These are the numerous advantages and benefits that compel users to import MBOX files into Thunderbird. Any question such as “How to Import MBOX to Thunderbird” may occur. Now, to start the MBOX exporting procedure, follow the steps in the manual solution.
Manually Importing MBOX Files into Thunderbird
For use with Windows
To begin the process of importing MBOX files into Thunderbird, you must first install the ImportExportTools plugin on your Thunderbird:
ImportExportTools Installation Procedures
If you’re unsure how to install ImportExportTool, follow these steps and make sure they’re done correctly:
- To begin, go to the Mozilla Thunderbird add-website on’s and download the import-export utilities.
- After that, launch the Mozilla Thunderbird and select the Menu >> Tools >> Extensions tab.
- Select the “Install Add-on from File” option from the Gear icon. Then double-click the xpi file you just downloaded.
- Restart the Thunderbird program once you’ve completed the installation procedures.
How to use this tool to import MBOX files into Thunderbird:
- Launch Thunderbird on your computer.
- Select ImportExportTools from the drop-down menu in the opening dashboard’s Tools section.
- Following that, choose Import MBOX file from the menu.
- Import directly one or more MBOX file choices is chosen by default on another wizard; if not, choose it. After that, click the Ok button to continue.
- Now, go to this particular place on the system and click the Open button to open the MBOX file.
- Finally, notice that the MBOX folder has been added to Thunderbird.
If you’re a Mac user, you’ll need to export the MBOX file into Thunderbird in a slightly different way. To import an MBOX file into Thunderbird on a Mac, follow the instructions below:
- On a macOS device, open Thunderbird.
- Select the Import option from the drop-down list on the Tools tab.
- Choose the Mail option in the new pop-up window and click Next.
- Then, in the dialog box, choose Apple Mail and press the Next button.
- After the stages of the importing procedure are completed, Thunderbird displays an Apple Mail folder. On a Mac, the inbox items are also shown on the left-hand side of the email client.
The Manual Solution’s Limitations
You may simply import the MBOX file into Thunderbird using the provided manual methods, however there are some restrictions. While importing your MBOX file into Thunderbird, you may encounter the following issues:
- When manually importing MBOX files into Thunderbird, there is a risk of data loss.
- You may discover that attached files are missing from emails after completing the manual procedure.
- Inline picture breakage is a possibility.
- Users may have problems with MBOX file corruption from time to time.
- Following the import procedure, you may notice that certain emails are missing from the folder.
- There’s a chance that the header information is inaccurate.
You may use MBOX Converter Tool to avoid these restrictions and the risk of data loss when exporting MBOX files to Thunderbird. The program is designed to convert MBOX files to Thunderbird without losing any data.
The program may export single and multiple MBOX files to Thunderbird as well as other email clients such as Gmail, Office 365, AOL, Opera Mail, Yahoo Mail, Yandex Mail, Zoho Mail, and others. MBOX files may also be converted to PST, OST, EML, EMLX, CSV, DOC, PDF, DOCX, and other file formats with this tool.
Let us know how to put Automated Solutions to work for you!
- To begin, download MBOX Exporter and install it on your computer.
- Execute the program as an administrator after completing the installation procedures.
- To add MBOX files, choose from the Single File or Multiple File/Folder choices.
- Check the folders you wish to export from the tree structure.
- Choose Thunderbird from the Saves/Backup/Migrate dropdown menu.
- Examine the software’s built-in features according to your requirements.
- You may optionally provide the name of the resulting folder here.
- To start the MBOX file exporting process into Thunderbird, click the Convert button.
- Finally, you may get a copy of the conversion process report.
In this post, we’ll look at how to import MBOX to Thunderbird using both manual and professional methods. However, attempting to import MBOX files into Thunderbird may result in data loss, and data integrity may be compromised. As a result, I suggest that you use an automated method to convert MBOX files to Thunderbird.
Thunderbird mail client has a built-in import tool that can import bulk emails from Outlook or Eudora. The process is very easy and there are no settings needed. But if you are not comfortable with writing code or you don’t want to spend time on something that can be done easily, then you don’t have to do anything. Here is a simple script that will help you import MBOX to Thunderbird.. Read more about thunderbird import export tools not working and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I import an mbox file into Thunderbird?
The best way to import an mbox file into Thunderbird is by using a program called Mail Attachment Import.
How do I add import export tools to Thunderbird?
To add import export tools to Thunderbird, you must first open up your Thunderbird and go to the Tools menu. From there, select Import Export Tools.
What email clients can import mbox files?
Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, Thunderbird.